Before you start
To use FTP, you need:
- An FTP client (e.g. FileZilla, Dreamweaver)
- To know your hosting account’s type. This way, you can use the right instructions for your type of hosting (e.g. cPanel, Plesk, etc.)
- To make sure that account is set up (cPanel / Plesk)
- Your hosting account (FTP) hostname, username and password
This guide will help you find the information you need to use FTP with your website.
Note: If you are using Managed WordPress, instead see our guide to using sFTP.
Find your FTP Settings
In order to use FTP with your hosting, you will need the following settings from your hosting account.
|Setting||What you need|
|Host||Your hosted domain name or IP address (cPanel / Plesk)|
|Password||Reset your FTP password (cPanel / Plesk)|
Upload your website with FTP
Although we recommend FileZilla for FTP, there are many other programs and site-builders that use FTP as well. You can use these instructions to upload your site with FTP with the program of your choice.
|FileZilla (recommended)||FileZilla: FTP settings to upload your website|
|Dreamweaver||Publish your website with Dreamweaver (CS4 / CS5 / CS6)|
|Adobe Muse||Adobe Muse: How to publish a website|
|iWeb||iWeb: Publish your website|
|Microsoft Expression Web||Using Microsoft Expression Web 4 to Create and Upload Your Site|
- To let other people access your hosting with FTP, you can add more FTP users (cPanel / Plesk)
- You can also use FTP to create a backup of your website.